Friday, August 3, 2007

This week in Tamil Cinema

Still young at heart



Is it superhuman to compose 7 songs in 27 hours averaging less than 4 hours a song? Fact says NO. Maestro Ilayaraja has composed 7 songs for the film ULiyin Osai that is based on the novel written by none other than the legendary writer cum politician, M. KaruNanidhi.

I've still not gotten over Ilayaraja's magical Thiruvasagam. I can't wait to see how the maestro composes for this literary work.

Paruthiveeran valiantly wins at Osian's Cinefan


Osian's Cinefan is a film festival for Asian and Arab movies held every year at New Delhi. At this year's function which took place a couple of days back, Paruthiveeran, directed by Ameer, bagged the best film award.

Ameer has explored radically different stories with his 3 films - Mounam pesiyadhae, Raam and Paruthiveeran. He has evidently matured as a director and this award should give him the confidence to make bold movies such as Paruthiveeran.

Priyamani, the heroine of the movie, was adjudged the best actress. She did perform well. But I was surprised on coming to know that Karthik did not receive the best actor award.


Music function at Chennai



Hariharan and Shankar Mahadevan will be performing a live music show on August 12 at Chennai's Nehru indoor stadium.

I had a few comments when I read this piece. First - I don't know of too many songs sung by both of them together and, to me, the biggest attraction is only if the singers share the stage on the same song (I still cherish the SPB-Yesudas concerts). Second - I read news elsewhere that Kamal had to play a clout game to get access to the Nehru indoor stadium for shooting Dasaavatharam, but apparently, it is easy to reserve it for film related functions. Poor Kamal.

Nevertheless, this concert should provide a gala time for the audience in Chennai who would, by now, be either roasted or soaked (I meant the heat and the rain!).

Fans blow climax away


I meant Ajith fans. How does the conviction of a writer matter when thousands of fans want the climax of the film Kireedam changed? The fans could not bear Ajith's fiasco, in Kireedam I mean. What will they do about our real Ajith who is floundering and faltering to save his career.

No comments:

 
### site tracker BEGIN ### site tracker END